Financing FAQs

Please review some of the most frequently asked questions regarding financial aid. If you have any additional questions, our Financial Aid Office is located on the first floor of Bergami Hall, and is open from 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. We can also be reached at 203-932-7315, toll-free at 1-800-DIAL-UNH, ext.7315, or by email at

Who Do I Contact with Additional Questions or for More Information on Financial Aid?

The Financial Aid Office is located on the first floor of  Bergami Hall, and is open from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. We can also be reached at 203-932-7315, toll-free at 1-800-DIAL-UNH, ext.7315, or by email at

Will My Financial Aid Cover My Course Costs?

In most cases, if students are eligible for the maximum student loans of $20,500 per academic year, it will cover up to a full-time course load for most University of New Haven graduate degree programs. You should monitor your student billing account on e-pay, the University’s online student account system, to review your current balance status. A current list of graduate charges is also available on the Bursar’s website. Any excess financial aid funds after tuition and fee charges are satisfied will be returned to students in the form of a refund check from the Bursar’s Office.

When Will I Receive My Refund Check?

A refund check can only be issued when there is a credit on your account at the Bursar’s Office (i.e. there is excess financial aid after all of your university fees and tuition costs have been covered). To expedite a refund check, you need to make sure that all of your financial aid requirements are completed, including the following items: submission of an accepted financial aid award, completion of a Federal Student Loan Master Promissory Note and/or Student Loan Entrance Counseling session (if required), and proper enrollment in the upcoming term. Failure to complete any of these procedures can result in a delayed refund check.

If all of your financial aid requirements are completed, your aid for that term will disburse to your account during the first week of the term. If the aid creates a credit on your account, the Bursar’s office will generate a refund check. Under federal regulations, the Bursar’s office has 14 days once a credit is created to process a refund. Traditionally, our Bursar’s office makes every effort to expedite that process in a shorter time frame. Refund checks are processed on a weekly basis.

Do I Need to Notify the Financial Aid Office if I Add or Drop a Class?

Yes. There are several reasons that you have to notify us that you have added or dropped a class:

  1. Some loans and grant programs require you register for a specific number of credits each term. Federal Student loans are only available to students that are enrolled at least half-time.
  2. The number of credits you register for determines your enrollment status (i.e. full time or part time) and this, in turn, may affect the amount of financial aid you can receive. Your overall Cost of Attendance is derived by your enrollment status.
  3. Satisfactory Academic Progress, a mandatory regulation for maintaining financial aid, may be affected by dropping classes or withdrawing. You were awarded aid based on achieving a specific number of credits per term (as stated in your financial aid award). If you do not successfully earn those credits when we check academic progress, you will be ineligible to receive aid until those deficient credits are achieved. Students have an opportunity to appeal their loss of eligibility.

Bottom line: Before you change your schedule, drop a class, or withdraw from a class, you must notify the Financial Aid Office to determine if that change will affect your eligibility for aid or your loan amounts.

What are the Most Common Errors When Applying for Financial Aid?

  • Filing your application late
  • Incorrect Social Security Numbers
  • Omitting the school code 001397 on the FAFSA
  • Not using your legal name from your social security card
  • Submitting illegible, incomplete, or unsigned documentation
  • Failing to report other untaxed income such as child support, contributions to a 401k plan or an IRA, etc.
  • Under reporting or failure to report student assets
  • Incorrect reporting of number in household/college on the FAFSA.

Please double check your FAFSA before submitting it.

If I Receive an Outside Scholarship, Must I Notify the Financial Aid Office?

Yes. Anytime a student receives funds from an outside company, employer, agency, or civic group they must report it to the University of New Haven Financial Aid Office.

Do I Have to Re-Apply for Financial Aid Every Year?

Yes. Financial aid is not automatic and must be reapplied for each year. The FAFSA for the next academic year is available after January 1 at

Methods of Payment

  • ePay — Pay your bill online using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, your debit card, or a U.S. based checking or savings account.
    • Payment for tuition and fees at UNH can be made in a variety of forms:
    • ePay– A quick, easy and secure way to pay your bills online using Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, debit card or U.S. checking account.
    • *Effective July 1st, a 2.7% service fee applies to all credit and debit card payments. Click here for further information regarding this fee.
  • Wire Transfer — Contact the Bursar’s Office at for wire instructions.
  • Mail — Bursar’s Office University of New Haven, Bursar’s Office, 300 Boston Post Road, West Haven, CT 05616
  • Corporate Reimbursement — Contact the Bursar’s Office for more information.
  • Financial Aid/Loan

Withdrawal and Refund Policy

  • Students will be eligible for a full (100%) refund of tuition charges if the course is dropped at or before 11:59 p.m. on the first day of classes for each session.
  • Students will be eligible for a partial (50%) refund of tuition charges if the course is dropped at or before 11:59 p.m. on the third day of classes for each session.
  • After the third day of classes, there will be no refund of tuition charges and students will be responsible to pay the session bill in full.
  • The University of New Haven’s online program tuition refund policy may be superseded by the laws and regulations of the students’ state of residence. Residents of the following states should click their state name to view the applicable policy: Maryland, Wisconsin.

Other Online Programs at UNH

We also offer an Online Masters in Criminal Justice and an Online Masters in Emergency Management

Active Connecticut police officers and firefighters may qualify for a 50% discount on tuition. In addition, IAFCI members may receive a 20% discount. Click here to learn more >